[Tango-L] variable embrace

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Tue Jul 24 11:16:44 EDT 2007

In terms of following experience, close embrace to me pretty much means
variable embrace.  I was in a class at CITA with Naveira and he was
coming around to each of the pairs and corrected my partner of the
moment, who was a pretty new beginner.  We were dancing more-or-less
close embrace (having learned as a beginner in open embrace it was
extremely close embrace to me) and my partner was trying to dance me
into a space that my body simply couldn't occupy, for front ochos and
for giro.  Naveira told him "you have to change and make the space for
the woman, and then you change and go back."  Obviously ochos and giros
can be made bigger and smaller (hence the stage and salon style
discussions) but at some point the space inside of the right arm for a
front ocho is either big enough for the follow, or it's not.  Depending
on the amount of COD moves the lead chooses to lead, there will be a lot
of transitions in the embrace.  I applaud the men with whom I have
danced who have made this a seamless experience! :) The reality,
however, is that this adjustment is a pretty difficult challenge for
beginning dancers who lead, and it is not an issue in open embrace.  I
am not "advocating" open embrace over close embrace...just acknowledging
that it is really important to teach leads the space transition for COD
dance vocabulary and it is a lot for a beginner to handle.

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC

"legal solutions for 21st century businesses"