[Tango-L] Structure of Tango

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Sat Jul 21 15:22:10 EDT 2007

List,

While Stephen has provided some useful info (for some readers here,
anyway), I agree with Keith that he hasn't written of the underlying
structure itself-- which is not the moves per se, but rather what makes
them legible in a closed conceptual system.

E.g., observations like:
    * The dancers are always in either parallel (aka normal) or
cross-system, unless someone is standing on both feet (or on their partner)
    * Whenever one dancer steps (changes weight) while the other does
not, the system changes
    * Walking steps are either "open" or "crossed" (in front or
behind)-- this one I've disputed at length
    * Turns/pivots have a center and a circumference
    * Both dancers cannot stand in the same place at the same time
    * A cruzada is just a step in place on the other side of one's foot
    * When it's neither led nor followed, you call it an "embellishment"
(although if you can figure out how to lead it, you get to make up a
stupid nickname)

This is structure-- an expression in all variables, which you cannot
choreograph (as is) because it has no particulars. A list of moves
(which you _can_ choreograph) is simply the tangible material in which
structure, otherwise latent, may be discerned.

I notice that the structure of pivots has not yet (to my knowledge) been
fully explored. My previous posts on analysis began to unravel the
problems of a step-centric structure, but I'm still working on it
intermittently.

Jake
DC