[Tango-L] Flaming women at classes

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 10:59:03 EDT 2007

Hi 'Mash,

Trini, here.  Cut yourself some slack.  While you're still
learning vocabulary, you're not going to be able to focus
as much on listening to your partner.  That's why your
teacher made your partner look so good - he doesn't need to
think about the steps and can just focus on her.  With
practice the same thing will happen with you.  Just take a
beginning woman with 0 months experience for a simple walk
onto the dance floor and you'll see.

You're right about women progressing more quickly because
they are danced with by guys who already know what they are
doing.  But beginning guys can also progress more quickly
by dancing with women who really know what they are doing.
It is hard for beginners to work with other beginners.
When tango was at its peak, beginners learned with
experienced dancers (mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles,
etc.), not with other beginners.  This is why there is so
much debate about how to teach tango to beginners en masse.
 It's relatively new territory.

So I would encourage you to ask good women dancers to
dance.  And if you've only been dancing for 2 months, many
women dancers will be inclined to say yes.  Take advantage
of this "honeymoon" period!  I often prefer dancing with a
beginner with a limited vocabulary than someone who's
trying these fancy steps because he's with an experienced
dancer.  You can always ask your teacher which women are
likely to say yes to you.  If you ask a woman, and she says
no, don't take it personally.  At your level, chances are
her saying no has nothing to do with you.   (But I wouldn't
recommend asking at a festival.)

A really good tanguera can make you feel as if you can do
anything.  You'll find yourself to be less clumsy, more
fluid, and, perhaps, even more inspired.  With a good
tanguera, even a novice can be inspired to lead an ocho or
imitate what he sees on the dance floor.

Something you may want to do is take privates with a female
instructor if there's a good one in your area.  Not to be
sexist, but one of the issues for beginning men is getting
a practice partner.  So for an hour, you'll get both a
teacher and a good practice partner.

And any couple who supposedly breaks up over disparate
dance skills in tango had other issues.

Happy learning,
Trini de Pittsburgh