[Tango-L] Flaming women at classes

Gary Barnes garybarn at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jul 22 20:51:03 EDT 2007

Chris apparently wrote:

> And, oh yes, to not anticipate leads, too.
>
> That too is iatrogenic. The only girls I've met who
> anticipate are victims of the DIC* classes - she's
> following not her guy but the programming of a now-absent
> instructor who taught her the 'correct' girl step to
> accompany each guy step.

Well, I've felt this in:

* women whose have just been sitting at a milonga and have never done
a class
* women whose have just been sitting at a practica and have never
done a class
* women who have just watched a tango show
* women who saw tango on dance with stars or somesuch
* women who have been dancing with someone who muscles them around
the floor
* women who have been dancing with someone whose lead is vague but
expects them to do something anyway
* and women who have been doing step classes. And self-led boleo
classes...
* oh, and men who usually lead

Its normal. Followers want to make the dance work. They see
something, they try to copy it.  For some things this works fine.
For the core skills of tango, it doesn't work much.

I think you might be suffering from confirmation bias -- which is
sadly what many teachers of sequence classes also seem to suffer
from. Sequence classes as the main form of learning are ineffective.
But you way overstate the case here.

Ability to dance tango is not innate, though it draws on skills which
are innate for many people.  The problem is to find ways of learning
which work with these skills rather than against them.

Gary