[Tango-L] Origins

Konstantin Zahariev anfractuoso at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 00:59:33 EDT 2007

Hello,

Carol wrote a beautiful post addressing this from a more general
perspective, and I agree with the totality of her points and would
have said similar things.

I just want to offer an even broader comment, not just about dancing.
I think it is interesting and significant that the last fifty or so
years have possibly been the first period in human history that we
have shifted on a large scale from being mostly creators to being
mostly consumers of music and other performing arts(*). We are into
uncharted territory.

Up until recorded music, radio, television and other media really
changed the way we viewed entertainment, it was a totally different
way of life with practically everyone in every family either playing
an instrument or dancing or being a storyteller or a singer, and
people created entertainment instead of consuming someone else's
creation.

Just some scattered thoughts..(**)

With best regards,

Konstantin
Victoria, Canada

(*) Yes, various disclaimers apply. The Romans were a special case of
proto-consumers with their proud inability and lack of desire to
create music (they hired others to do that). Other examples probably
exist.

(**) And dancing was indeed huge until the Great Depression or so.
I've read some estimates from papers, with astonishing figures from
the 1920s in the US, like: some 65,000 people would go out in Chicago
to dance every night of the week, or that in San Francisco there would
be more than a hundred dancing halls within a six-block radius
downtown, and that some dancing halls would regularly host up to 5,000
people at a time. I am going by memory, but can check the actual
statistics. In any case the numbers were absolutely mind-boggling.