[Tango-L] Origins

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Thu Jul 19 04:51:13 EDT 2007

What kind of dancing?  Tango only?  Where?  To what music?

In many countries people of all social classes engage in partner or solo
dance as a means of recreation/entertainment, socializing, class and
society identification, competition for a suitable mate, connecting with
music and therefore with community and culture, and self expression.
And, I'm sure, for other reasons.  (I tend to avoid referring to
economic classes but sometimes economics primarily define social class
in a society).

In some countries only people of certain social classes dance, for some
or all of the same reasons.

Society in some countries includes dance as a critical self-identifier
and part of the definition of the society's culture and a means of
defining the "not us".  Perhaps the discussion on this list argues for
Argentine tango as a critical self-identifier in the Argentine society,
at least in the past, if not in the present.

In the US up through the 1940's dance was an integral part of everyday
society.  People of all social classes danced.  (What they danced was
very different; there was broad overlap but certain dances were
identified predominantly with different social classes.)  There were
barn dances, jook joints and dime-a-dance halls for the needs and
purposes of the lower social classes, and dancing schools, social balls,
and charity events with dancing for the higher.

Today in the US I would venture that there is far less dancing overall
as entertainment options have vastly proliferated with the mass media.
The social needs and purposes of people have changed and there are far
less reasons to dance, apart from recreation and self expression.
Dancing is minimally important overall, but where it exists it is more
important to the higher social classes (educated and professional) and
to ethnic groups reinforcing their subcultures.  It is not important at
all to the public at large; it presents an unfamiliar curiosity (think
Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance).  I think the
ethnic group phenomenon transcends social class.

I'm also interested in hearing what dancers in other countries and
societies say about this.