[Tango-L] Argentine Tango

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 17 22:05:33 EDT 2007

Somebody says:

"Tango is not an
Argentine product, but the product of fusion between
afro-Caribbean and
European rhythms.   That in an era of increasing
global awareness any claims
to sole cultural ownership over any practice is silly
and infantile."

Even if that was true, the 'product of fusion" is an Argentine/Uruguayan
creation.

More specifically the creation of certain people, in the periphery of the
cities of Buenos aires and Montevideo.

Afro-Caribbean and European rhythms collided in other areas of the world and
created "other products of fusion" :

Jazz in USA, Samba in Brazil, Rumba, Cha-cha, mambo, bolero in Cuba, Cumbia
in Colombia, Salsa in Puerto Rico, Merengue in The Dominican Republic.

So most of the ballroom dances originated in a similar way, in America, due
to the interaction of African and European rhythms.

Argentine tango and Jazz have in common the fact that they originated in
poor areas of metropolitan cities, the other dances have a rural root
instead.

In this respect the urban forces at play in the genesis of tango are more
similar to Rebetica (in Greece) and Fado (in Portugal).

In Summary we should not think that the ingredients (flower, apples, sugar,
cinnamon) individually are the same as an Apple Pie.

Argentine Tango is a reflection of the "porten`o" character, spirit, soul,
idiosyncrasy the same as rebetica, fado, Jazz are cultural reflections of
the people that originated them.

As any artistic creation it belongs to the whole humanity. Argentines are
very proud, and happy that Tango is embraced and danced all over the world.

This has nothing to do with being a good or a poor dancer. Many Porteños do
not know how to dance tango.   Many foreigners dance better than most
porteños . But... world class dancers are either Argentines or foreigners
trained by Argentines ...so far .

If I am wrong I would humbly like to know who is a world class tango dancer
who was trained by foreign instructors. I am certain that this is happening
some place right now but I do not know where. Thank you for your help.

Best regards, Sergio