[Tango-L] Miles re; Tango Acrimoniousness

flame@2xtreme.net flame at 2xtreme.net
Tue Jul 17 23:22:41 EDT 2007

> From: m i l e s <miles at tangobliss.com>
>
> I wonder if its that difficult for this group to actually have a
> discussion that isn't acrimonious ?

Obviously, it's too difficult.

> In my 15 years online in every forum I've either managed or been
> party to there has always been a level of common human decency in
> email communications.  And at the very least, the flame wars were
> eventually taken offline and conversation resumed in a civilized and
> humane manner.  This list is the exception to that rule.  This list
> not only needs to be moderated or at the very least some level of
> control and inhibition needs to be put in place, it further needs to
> get a grip on how to treat one another.

That's odd. Every on-line forum I've seen in ends up like this.
The "know it all's" always start to duke it out.

And moderators? Please. That's the best way to really kill a group.

> I have been party to and co-created that level acrimoniousness in the
> last 6 months (giving as good as I've gotten, and I despised and
> chided myself for doing just that!), but this stuff is just
> heartbreaking and a pain to have to deal with on a regular basis.  I
> can easily see why so many people leave.  I know of a half dozen
> alone this week from the bay area.  You'd think we were all
> squabbling children with the way that we speak to each other online.

Heartbreaking? Despising & chiding yourself? Miles, get a grip!
It's more funny than anything else.
How can anyone read some of this stuff and not laugh out loud?

> I can imagine this same conversations in an actual room, and I can
> virtually guarantee that a.) they it'd never happen, and b.) there'd
> be a level of civil discourse that resembled a tea party of the 18th
> century, where politeness and civility were the norm, and nary a
> harsh word was spoken or even whispered.
>
> Is that possible ?

Nah, no way.

> M i l e s.

Flame