[Tango-L] Flaming women at classes

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 23:26:12 EDT 2007

--- Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:

> My women, with whom I regularly dance after the classes
> started to compare me with their husbands ( it happens
between couples only, of course ) this  way: " It is so
good to dance with Igor, but you are so clumsy, can not do
> this or that...". And guys feel bad about themselves.
>
> What to do? How to discourage women from criticizing?

Hi Igor,

Trini, here.  Something similar happened in the middle of a
class that Sean & I were teaching.  We had taught them some
basic move.  When we asked if there were any questions, a
young woman complained that the move didn't feel the same
with her boyfriend as it did with Sean.  Sean simply tilted
his head and said, "Well, he's only been doing it for 10
minutes.  I've been doing it for 10 years."  She (and
everyone else) got the message.

In classes, we also always talk about how better dancers
compensate for less experienced dancers as part of social
etiquette.  In particular, experienced men and less
experienced women.  That also helps the ladies realize that
it might not always be the guy's fault.

Hope this helps.

Trini de Pittsburgh