[Tango-L] Flaming women at classes

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Jul 20 00:11:13 EDT 2007

Yeah, I've noticed that the women can be pretty harsh.

As a teacher, I really try to head that off. If I hear it out of the
corner of my ear, I go over and ask if I can help, or just intervene
directly. I usually talk to the woman first, which indicates that
they may have issues to work on as well, and it takes the pressure
off the guy, so that when I give him something to work on he isn't as
defensive.

Yes, I don't like the energy of not changing partners. I tolerate it
in a small class, or when the couples are of vastly different ages.
But, over time most couples will change. Frankly, the ones who never
change never actually succeed at tango.

The best is when you get the busy executive and his wife. Maybe the
marriage counseler said "this time do something SHE wants to do". He
is dragged kicking and screaming to tango, where he is WAY out of his
comfort zone.