[Tango-L] Should the dance style (not the social) be referred to as "Milonga" or" Argentine Milonga"?

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 17:40:14 EDT 2007

When I dance milonga at the country western place, I tell the women that
  we are going to do one step.
  If they are into dance, I may later explain that it is really tango milonga.
  When I dance milonga at an Argentine Tango milonga, I refer to it
  simply as milonga.

  Know your audience, but don't be too reluctant to educate them.
  (Some of us like to learn new things.)

  Regarding the multiple meanings of "milonga"...
  Hopefully, you can expect that the people you will be dealing with can
  grasp the concept that a word can have more than one meaning.
  I'd like to believe that learning new things actually appeals to a certain
  segment of the population.

  This is just me, but I would not refer to milonga as a "style".

  Regarding Wikipedia... always check other sources. Some stuff is good.
  Some stuff is less than good.

  original post

  My DanceWeb site supports many different dance style, and although It
initially had a UK audience, it is now slowly being expanded to cover
more countries (starting with USA/Canada).

The site already recognises styles of "Tango (Argentine)" and "Tango
(Ballroom)". Partly as a result of our BBC TV programme "Strictly Come
Dancing", the style of "Milonga" is now being taught as well, and I
have
been requested to support this style.

My question is:

Can I refer to this style as simply "Milonga" or is it necessary to
refer
to it as "Argentine Milonga" (or even "Tango (Milonga)"? This is
important both for organisations who enter dance classes, and dancers
who
search or browse for classes. I note that Wikipedia just uses the word
Milonga for the music and the related dance form.

(Just to confuse matters, I already use the word Milonga to refer to
any
Argentine Tango Social event, a practice very common in the UK).

Best Regards, John
http://www.danceweb.co.uk/tango