[Tango-L] Dance Flaming: not an isolated phenomenon

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Thu Jul 19 13:44:46 EDT 2007

Thank you, Carol!

This is really beautiful.  I am glad that have
the time these couple of days to hang out on the
list here and read everything.  Usually I don't
have such luxury.  So I am writing a huge post,
hopefully not too difficult to read.

Some flamenco purists, as well as tango purists,
love making other tango and flamenco purists hate
them. The criticism usually comes from the people who cannot do the same work.

This is not flaming.  This criticism and
different perception is much needed.  It is not
one way or another.  It is both.  It is a part of
the bigger whole.  It is a much needed
scrutiny.  These things must be voiced and this
article has done it very well.  It is all about
awareness.  This is NOT flaming.

Maybe the idea of flaming is not well understood anymore.

About the dances, the trick for this fusion is to
stay pure, and these flamenco dancers manage to
do it beautifully!  It is very, very difficult to
tell the new story while keeping the dance in its
pure form.  But it is not impossible.  If you can
see some of these videos, they are
incredible.  Even if you do not know much about
flamenco, you will understand what this is.

Amaury discovered our web site slightly
prematurely and I was not prepared to talk about
TangOlé Compañía de Danza. The web site is not
completely done, has some errors, and we are
still working on it.  But I might as well talk a
little about it now and about the fusion of AT
and flamenco that we are working with right now.

First, we are Argentine tango dancers (Gregory
and I).  Natalia and Mark are flamenco dancers,
musicians and singers.  Neither I nor Gregory
will even become flamenco dancers like Natalia,
and Natalia may never become a tango dancer (but
I have hopes).  We are very conscious and careful
about protecting the authenticity of our own
dance forms.  This is very important.  When
artists create on the edge of reason (according
to others), they are risking being perceived as
traitors.  That is traitors to what they had put
forward as their identity.  The public feels
deceived.  But the real thing is that artists,
and particularly dancers, have such a fierce
loyalty to their dance that it is unchangeable
because they become who they are through the art
of their dance.  They are INSEPARABLE.  One dies
without the other.  The love and the passion
always remains with the original dance form.  It is at the cellular level.

Second, no fusion ever works as a social dance
form.  NONE.  The fusion is for art and
performance only.  It is very important to keep
this distinction in mind. What Joaquín Cortés
does most other flamenco dancers cannot do and
would not want to do.  This needs to be seen and
absorbed and, most of all, enjoyed.  it is meant to move people.

What I have discovered is that when the two
different dance forms are fused, the people who
are doing the work need to have expertise in one
form and have other people working with them who
are experts in the other dance form.  This is
essential.  People who dance only one form and
then fuse it with something they may know a
little bit, usually do not succeed and risk
destroying the authenticity and the expressive value of their work.

There is a big difference in dancing between
flamenco and tango. Flamenco remained a living
dance, where its meaning (not its form) has been
changing with the times.  The complexity of
compass remained the same.  Flamenco begins with
the singer, who is followed by the dancer.  The
musicians follow the dancer and his or her change
in compass.  It is very, very complicated and
difficult.  In flamenco, women now incorporate
movements that were originally danced by the
men.  It is very exciting because the purists are
able to recognize the artistry that it requires and the expression.

Flamenco is very complicated.  It is not a social
dance, and yet it is.  It is danced when a group
of people gets together.  And it evolves and
changes then.  But it is not the same way a
social dance as tango is.  So for any fusion, in
terms of tango, there needs to be a clear
understanding that the fusion is not to be danced socially.

In tango, nothing new that in any way would
resemble the changes in flamenco has happened in
years, more accurately, since the music
Piazzolla.  Tango followed a different
history.  Because tango follows the music and not
the dancer or singer, it changes with the music, when the music changes.

Joaquín Cortés is such an amazing flamenco dancer
that anything that he does is justified by his
phenomenal mastery of the pure, authentic form of
the dance.  Has anyone ever seen him
dance?  There are videos on www.youtube.com.

The only comparison that I can make in tango is
Pablo Pugliese fusing tango and modern
dance.  Pablo is a master of Argentine
tango.  What he does with the fusion is
gorgeous.  And there is no corruption of the
tango because no one else can do what he is
doing.  But Pablo does not teach the fusion and does not dance it socially.

In the last several decades, on the outskirts of
the cities in Spain, flamenco has been
changing.  The gypsies and others have been
singing about things that are current, such as
AIDS and drugs.  It is as if flamenco tells the
current story of the people and the singers,
musicians and dancers are the story tellers.

Tango does not tell new stories.  The new tangos
are rarely composed.  There are no new tango
lyrics, at least none that I know of.  The
closest lyrics that come to tango are the lyrics
of Rock Nacional in Argentina.  They are
beautiful and they tell the current stories, such
as the songs of Silvina Carre.

I feel a bit envious of the flamenco dancers for
having many, many videos of their great dancers,
going back decades.  We have nothing like that in
tango.  We have some, but it is so very little by
comparison to the huge quantity of flamenco video
recordings.  And not only of the dancers and musicians, but also the singers.

Sometimes I wish that the musicians and song
writers of the Rock Nacional genre would join
tango, but that probably is impossible, since one
maybe a direct opposing response to the other.

Again, thank you Carol for posting a great news story!

Warmest regards to all,

Nina