[Tango-L] How about 6 Hours?

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Thu Jul 19 16:07:02 EDT 2007

Manuel (and Everyone Else):

Thank you for the invitation.  Unfortunately, DJ duties in Dallas and the
job that pays my bills will keep me from accepting at this time.  Of
course, we were both at the Miami tango festival a few years ago, so we
are at least familiar with each others' dancing if not each others'
teaching.

I didn't mean to make it seem as though I consider rhythm as the basis of
improvisation.  To clarify, I meant that those of us in the tango
community seem to hold two views about tango.  Rhythm and the music are
the basis of the dance.  Improvisation is an important aspect of dancing
tango.  Why is it then that so many instructors teach in such a way that
they all but ignore the rhythm and treat improvisation as an advanced
topic?

If we adopt an approach to teaching, so that (1) the first dance class
experience is a success; (2) the first 6-week series is a success. and (3)
the entry into the community (dances) is a success, we can better launch
beginners into the tango community.  I think this can be achieved by
emphasizing rhythmic movement to small elements of the dance and
improvisation in the first 6-8 weeks of classes.

(Hopefully, most people on Tango-L are enjoying our exchange and aren't
judging both of us a trolls.)

With best regards,
Steve

"As far as tango goes, it really works well to become more Argentine than
the Argentines are."  Nina Pesochinsky