[Tango-L] 5/8s

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Jul 18 21:18:26 EDT 2007

Dear Jeff,
Thank you for the great examples of 5/8 music !
I have listened to Rachmaninoff's "Isle of the Dead" just for a few seconds
on Amazon, and yes, it resembled tango for me ( remotely ). When I get the
complete records, I'll probably find out more about it.

"Isle of the Dead" was written in 1908 as far as I know. This is the time
when tango already appeared in Europe, and the idea that Rachmaninoff was
influenced by it should not be denied: first of all, he was a young man at
the time.

Let us take the slightly later time. European tango is darker. It was
propagated during and after the terrible WWI ( just 90 year ago, by the way
). Countries were falling apart, life itself was dark. Contrary to Argentina
at that time...

Igor Polk