[Tango-L] 6 months

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Wed Jul 18 17:50:37 EDT 2007

Dear Manuel and others:

Let me clarify that I didn't send students away after 6-8 weeks.  (I have
more to teach than that.)
I also never taught them everything I know.  I taught them everything that
I was comfortable teaching, and they could learn.

There is a point at which any true student-teacher relationship must come
to an end.  The teacher can take the student to the doorway, but it is up
to the student to step through that doorway and become a dancer.  Perhaps
taking such a philosophy to an extreme in the few lessons and classes that
he taught, jazz pianist Bill Evans refused to show his students the chord
voicings and progressions for which he was renown because he did not want
to deprive them of the opportunity to discover the knowledge on their own.

By the way, I don't consider someone whose instruction consists soley of
demonstrating step patterns to be a teacher.  Of course, one can take many
workshops and classes from StepMeisters, but they aren't really teaching
tango.  They are simply demonstrating patterns within tango that they
enjoy using.  Such classes can be an enjoyable diversion, but anyone who
wants to convert what is taught in such classes into skills useful for
dancing tango will have to work at it.

With best regards,
Steve

"The greatest ideas you will ever have are the ones that other people
don't understand."  Craig McCaw