[Tango-L] Influence of European rhythms in the Tango

romerob@telusplanet.net romerob at telusplanet.net
Wed Jul 18 17:15:57 EDT 2007

Konstantin Zahariev,

The influence of European rhythms in the Tango is via the Habanera (Spain).
Pompeyo Camps draws a parallel between ragtime and tango in the way the USA
black musicians utilized polkas and European rhythms in the formation of the
ragtime to obtain a dual race type of music. In the same way, Argentines of
black descendent received European influence from the Habanera in the formation
of the first forms of Tango.

The result between ragtime and tango is the similarity of rhythms; the parallel
is that early Tangos and Milongas have parts of cakewalks and ragtime music.
The proof is in some of the music left behind by the pianist Manuel O.
Campoamor a.k.a. "El Negro".

Another source of European influence in the tango dance is given by Jose
Gobello, who explains that Tango was a peculiar way to dance Mazurca in the
areas adjacent to the port in Buenos Aires.

Bruno