[Tango-L] Fwd: Women's technique

Kace kace at pacific.net.sg
Tue Jul 17 01:23:02 EDT 2007

Chris, UK wrote:
> "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)"
> <patangos at yahoo.com> said:
>
>> I would consciously work on my grounding with a really big
>> guy that would tend to pull women off axis a lot.
>>
> Amazing. Tell me, Trini: do you also recommend bad sex for practice?
People who like to debunk the need to study and practise the technical
skills in tango often
compare it to making love --- as if sex is completely biological and
instinctive, which it is
not, and the reason why we need experts to study the subject.

Generally followers have a more difficult task than leaders, because
they have to adapt to a
range of movement and musical styles, plus they can only influence the
leader in small ways
but not turn into back-leaders.  It is a game of "reaction" not
"action", yet many enjoyable
and demanding games are like that -- fishing, rock climbing, hang
gliding etc.

In our discussions, some people have described following as "surfing a
wave".  You can
jump on a big sea wave and hope it is going to give you a big thrill,
but it will take solid
following skill to stay on the sweet spot of that wave, and 200%
concentration to add
embellishment to the ride.  Given that the big kahuna appears only
rarely, most of the time
the surfers practise on the smaller, less thrilling ones, but those
efforts are never
considered to be wasted.

Kace
tangosingapore.com