[Tango-L] Fwd: Women's technique

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 16:53:02 EDT 2007

Well, Chris, I certainly hope that your opinion is in the distinct minority.
  Unfortunely, I'm not sure that is true.

  Back in the 40s and 50s Arthur Murray advised his female students
  that they were just as responsible for making any dance they accept
  a good experience, as were their male partners. So, they needed
  to learn certain things.

  I have been looking at some West Coast Swing information, and one
  of the oldest, prominant teachers organiztions of that dance, which
  I find to be very similar in spirit to Argentine Tango, teaches
  that WCS is a 50/50 partnership.

  Women do not get better by osmosis. Someone has to point out to
  them that they should be doing something differently. Whatever you
  do for them, they will not learn to do, either for themselves, or for their
  partners.

"Chris, UK" <tl2 at chrisjj.com> wrote:
    > The problem with dancing with only good dancers is that
> ... she never learns what she needs to work on.

What she never learns is stuff needed only for partnering bad dancers.
That's a problem for the teachers selling it, but for the girl?

Not at all. Because, as you said, she only dances only with good dancers.
Where, incidentally, she can naturally learn all she needs to become as
good herself.

> women's technique can improve with inexperienced dancers if
> she consciously works at it.

Quite why any girl feels she should "consciously work at it", goodness
only knows. That's the guy's job. The girl's job is to have a good time.
No guy who respects girls would have it otherwise.

> I would consciously work on my grounding with a really big
> guy that would tend to pull women off axis a lot.

Amazing. Tell me, Trini: do you also recommend bad sex for practice?

Chris

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:09:05 -0700 (PDT), "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)"