[Tango-L] heel or toe - Eryk

Andreas Wichter andreas at tangokombinat.de
Thu Jul 12 19:08:26 EDT 2007

Hello Eryk,

you said:

How you arrive? That's an embellishment... That's for
the public... for your ego... it's show ...
the least important thing when you dance with someone.

Don´t take this personally, please, but I find that entirely wrong. As
Janis said earlier, it is all about feeling, and a big part of the
feeling in tango is generated by how we place our feet on the floor. It
makes a statement, actually, about our relationship with the floor.
Arriving in the new place, when you finish the step, you greet the
floor. It´s like a caress, or a handshake. And it does matter how you
caress someone, or shake his or her hand. So the way you place your
foot affects the way your weight arrives on your foot.
Check out this video, if you like (it´s Pablo & Noelia), and watch him
placing his weight on his left foot at 1:48 min. That is a big part of
his dance. Most people can hardly see that, but he can feel it, and I
bet she can, too. Villa Urquiza is pretty big about walking softly,
anyway, and arriving is the main part of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SizbMqQKfuw
Arriving well, placing your foot (and hers) with care and enjoying the
process of settling your weight can make the woman sigh in your ear.
Which makes it worth the effort.

Regards,
Andreas