[Tango-L] Snow in Buenos Aires - Toe First

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Wed Jul 11 01:11:54 EDT 2007

 Tom is correct when he says that most good Tango dancers use either heel or ball first
 depending on the situation and which is more appropriate. But the point is they don’t need to
 think about it. Because of training and practice, both feel equally natural and easy to use. The
 question is which should be taught? Unlike Tom, I’m of the view that ball-first should be taught
 and some of the reasons are:

 1. Ball first produces a far more elegant walk and style of dancing than heel first.

 2. Ball first helps beginner students to learn to walk with a forward posture. Heel first tends to
  produce a backward posture, which is what we have in Ballroom Tango.

 3. Students will quickly understand the difference between dancing and walking. I know many
  people who, even with 5 years experience, still walk the Tango and have never ‘danced’ a
  step.

 4. Students who are taught heel first will be stuck with it and will never be able to dance ball
 first. It would be nice to think, as Tom does, that students will continue to learn for a number of
 years. Unfortunately, we all know that isn’t the case.

 5. Students who are taught ball first will easily be able to use heel first, when the situation
 arises, without the need for additional instruction. It’s more natural and we can all do it  already – why teach it? And, as Tom correctly states … “using only one or the takes away
 options’.

 6. Unlike Tom, I don’t think learning ball first imposes a “distracting detail”. I think it’s a
 fundamental aspect in teaching students to dance Tango. And the sooner, the better.

 Keith, HK

 On Wed Jul 11  8:38 , Tom Stermitz  sent: