[Tango-L] Snow in Buenos Aires - Toe First

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Wed Jul 11 01:45:24 EDT 2007

We are in agreement on the main technical point, i.e. dancers should
be skilled at multiple techniques.

Actually, we both agree that carrying your weight or balance forward
over the balls is important. I just want them to walk "normally" and
hit the ground heels first rather than reaching with the toes.

Stylistic disagreements are subjective. Neither heels nor balls is
inherently more or less elegant.

Our most important disagreement is with respect to methodologies for
teaching beginners. I claim (based on over 10 years of experience)
that you get better progress and retention if you work with the
skills they have when they walk in the door. In this case, "normal,
sidewalk walking", which I truly believe is a better foundation for
learning tango than trying to teach a new, specific detail of foot
placement.

I certainly disagree that people who learn heels first are stuck with
it forever; that depends on training over their tango career, not
their first year experience. In contrast, bad posture deforms their
technique through time, like a flaw in a growing crystal, and it is
REALLY difficult to unlearn later on.