[Tango-L] Snow in Buenos Aires - Toe First

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Jul 10 20:38:04 EDT 2007

MASTERS

A master tango dancer has a lot of control over their foot placement.

They can choose whether to land heel or ball first, depending on the
technical needs of the situation. Also, if you watch, the master
dancer may land flat-footed, and it takes a discerning eye to
determine whether they are landing first on the heel or first on the
toe.

Any high-end ballroom dancer would say the same thing.

As I said before, control of weight over heel OR ball allows for a
greater control over how fast or whether the follower collects. Using
only one or the takes away options.

BEGINNERS.

The problem with teaching beginners toe-first is that it imposes a
distracting detail on them. Worrying about that specific detail takes
away learning more important things like balance and just moving
around the floor. It is far better to start with a natural walk and
emphasize posture, balance, walking in a straight line, leading &
following.

I teach many men how to dance tango. These are "normal" guys, not
necessarily previous dancers or young athletes. The first problem is
just getting them to feel comfortable and competent enough to stick
around for more than a few lessons.

As we all know, tango takes a number of years to perfect, so they'll
get plenty of chances later.