[Tango-L] When a man asks me to dance

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Mon Jul 9 10:28:40 EDT 2007

Igor wrote:
>A good dancer listens to music and tries to dance the way music tells him
>dance. The one who dances the same way all the time just memorized his
> way of dancing. He is lucky if a DJ put the right music for him,
otherwise it is
>wrong and boring, I understand you. But this is not the way it should be.

What Igor writes is correct, but I have seen many, many leaders--including
some who teach tango for a living--who dance exactly the same way to every
piece of music by every orchestra.  There is also a follower's counterpart
to this.  That is, using the same embellishments with the same timing
regardless of the music.

With best regards,
Steve