[Tango-L] How to Tango

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Tue Jan 23 13:56:28 EST 2007

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 00:58:38 EST, you wrote:

>Floyd,
>
>I will respond to your beginning.  I have read most of the responses  and
>opinions. As the thread progressed I decided not to read your web site until  I
>reach a point where I was seeing a pattern. Then I would read what you wrote
>and see if the comments were in line with the pattern.

>First, nice job in organizing and laying out your ideas and your
>interpretation of Tango. Second, for the most part I agree, not that that means
>anything, but I find the underlying information valid and valuable. However, I  think
>your negative generalizations of preconceived stereotypes, like ballroom
>instructors, majority of Argentine Tango Teachers don't know what there are
>doing, etc., and pardon me for paraphrasing, but they cloud my acceptance of  your
>facts.    If I did not have some experience and accept the fact that Tango has
>not set requirement for patterns, everything can be changed at anytime
>depending  on circumstances, I would have certainly move on from your site and missed
>the  value.

But let me ask you...  Since beginners have no idea that what's
expressed is NOT true.  This being more or less the reverse of what
you are saying, experience wise...   Wouldn't it amount to the same
thing in the end..?  That they would continue reading, accepting, and
gaining the value?

Only those who already have their own contrary opinions would likely
be the ones to find fault...    ??

>I understand that you clearly, albeit, negatively laid out your approach  and
>bias, nevertheless I believe that most people looking to learn something
>don't want to sift through the opinions all the time.  It might be better  to
>state your points and assumptions and then proceed to provide clear and  unbiased
>instruction points, maybe breaking it up with an editorial sidebar if  you
>must.

There is to be a lot of 'breaking up'...  Especially adding jpg
illustrations, etc.   Smaller more specific pages...  Etc...

However, re the 'What Tango is not' beginning...?   Many instructors
make large points of clarifying to new students how their subject is
not at all like other subjects which may appear similar.    My
beginning with an explaination that Tango is not at all like
conventional ballroom is certainly not out of line in this way...  It
is obviously worthwhile to clear the decks as it were, before starting
to teach something brand new.    I tried to do it humorously but I do
march to a different drummer....  So we're trying to find out what
needs to be improved on.    As I've told another, my attemps at
defending myself are just to make 'conversation' and cause a little
back and forth...  I'm not truly disagreeing with anything anyone
says...  I'm looking for input for the best outcome.

>I think you miss, seem to or ignore :) the background of most people that
>choose to learn AT or any dance. The want to learn something or they are being
>told they want to learn something (by a significant other). They need to leave
>a  class that they can repeat.  The 8CB is something repeatable.  Maybe it is
>better said as you teach this it is only for the purpose providing you with a
> beginning point and that it is not set in stone. Things change and Tango is
>a  dance of improvisation, beginning one with each other in concert with the
>music.  But the point is that people who take lessons need to believe they
>are learning something. If they become bored they leave.

>A long learning  curve leaves only the hardy at the end of the day.
>That may be the object of AT but I don't think so.

It is the object of my teaching.

For instance.., I do not believe in putting fences up to barricade
continuously increasing slopes that lead to cliffs.   Those who get
close enough to lose their balance and fall over are the dumb ones..,
and this in the end improves the breed...   Ha!

A little rough?  <g>

But it is sadly true in many ways.   By making things safe and easy,
for anyone to be able to do, we are homoginizing everything to pap.

>Finally, I agree with Bridget in Montana and with Manuel, its the tone that
>is the downside, not being "outspoken" with the right placement I believe it
>adds value.

>Heaven forbid that anyone on the 'L' be considered outspoken or
>opinionated it never happens :).

Ha!

But as I've said many times now...  Things will come to be  worked out
nicely, I'm sure...  I can deal with consensus...

>In any case,
>Just some thoughts
>
>Bill in Seattle
>
>PS  Thanks for the hard work and the openness to ask and take  comments.

You're entirely welcome and I appreciate yours...

Floyd

     Argentine Tango - Buffalo Tango - Sun Tango
      * * * * * www.buffalotango.com  * * * * *