[Tango-L] How to Tango

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Tue Jan 23 00:58:38 EST 2007

Floyd,

I will respond to your beginning.  I have read most of the responses  and
opinions. As the thread progressed I decided not to read your web site until  I
reach a point where I was seeing a pattern. Then I would read what you wrote
and see if the comments were in line with the pattern.

First, nice job in organizing and laying out your ideas and your
interpretation of Tango. Second, for the most part I agree, not that that means
anything, but I find the underlying information valid and valuable. However, I  think
your negative generalizations of preconceived stereotypes, like ballroom
instructors, majority of Argentine Tango Teachers don't know what there are
doing, etc., and pardon me for paraphrasing, but they cloud my acceptance of  your
facts. If I did not have some experience and accept the fact that Tango has
not set requirement for patterns, everything can be changed at anytime
depending  on circumstances, I would have certainly move on from your site and missed
the  value.

I understand that you clearly, albeit, negatively laid out your approach  and
bias, nevertheless I believe that most people looking to learn something
don't want to sift through the opinions all the time.  It might be better  to
state your points and assumptions and then proceed to provide clear and  unbiased
instruction points, maybe breaking it up with an editorial sidebar if  you
must.

I think you miss, seem to or ignore :) the background of most people that
choose to learn AT or any dance. The want to learn something or they are being
told they want to learn something (by a significant other). They need to leave
a  class that they can repeat.  The 8CB is something repeatable. Maybe it is
better said as you teach this it is only for the purpose providing you with a
 beginning point and that it is not set in stone. Things change and Tango is
a  dance of improvisation, beginning one with each other in concert with the
music.  But the point is that people who take lessons need to believe they
are learning something. If they become bored they leave.  A long learning  curve
leaves only the hardy at the end of the day. That may be the object of AT
but I don't think so.

Finally, I agree with Bridget in Montana and with Manuel, its the tone that
is the downside, not being "outspoken" with the right placement I believe it
adds value. Heaven forbid that anyone on the 'L' be considered outspoken or
opinionated it never happens :).

In any case,
Just some thoughts

Bill in Seattle

PS  Thanks for the hard work and the openness to ask and take  comments.

In a message dated 1/16/2007 9:28:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,