[Tango-L] How to Tango

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Tue Jan 23 10:32:57 EST 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:55:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Well, I am quite hesitant to post anything at all about anything at all on the list, being
>as I have not yet had the opportunity to actually dance (but do read the list
>voraciously, have for quite some time, and really want to learn to dance, and dance
>well, given the constraints of time, money and location, the last being where there. is.
>no. tango. at all.). But reading all the posts and responses has really got me thinking.
>
>If I am new to tango, which I am, and looking for information, guidance, help,
>instruction, experience, and even dances, and came across your site, I would, in all
>honesty, seriously question my own sanity for wanting to do something so fraught
>with infinite peril. What if I do it wrong? Accidentally learn from the wrong videos or
>the wrong teachers? Need a more aggressive lead sometimes, or conversely wish
>for a more responsive lead who can read what I'd like to do, and then "let" me do it?
>Would I be shunned, shined on, dismissed or ignored? What if, with my limited
>verbal and dance vocabularies, I am unable to communicate clearly - this is, in fact, a
>given. I would anticipate, based on what I have read at your site, that the
>consequences would be rather severe.

Thats's Tango...   There have been other posts on the L's in the past,
on how such a sweet, tender and sensually enjoyable dance can invoke
the high number of vitriolic remarks and comments that it does.   It
reminds me of of Tango's beginnings.  What I've read of how the
individual men's clubs fought to defend who owned what moves,  etc.

But don't let that deter you in the least.   IMHO it's mostly here on
the L's now that you come across these outward expressions of
'dislike' of some person or aspect.   But that's good, I'm sure...
It's an outlet for that kind of thing, and an ability for real
learning too.   People put their true feelings into their own
particular opinions.   A lot of it is very good to know about.

But there is basically none of it at Milongas and other Tango venues.
People are all, outwardly at least,  very polite, respectful and
mannerly towards each other.    I think Tango venues are among the
most civilized of gathering that there are anywhere.

So it is all good in the end..  There are artists and there are
artists and I consider Tango an art form.   Artistic minds are
sometimes tempramental, sometimes obsessive, and more.   We need to
accept all of it..

>Floyd, I mean no harm or disrespect at all - and I am so glad that you have devoted
>considerable time and energy and passion to getting all the thoughts out there, in
>order to benefit us all. I truly sense a genuine care for what you do. And still, if I came
>across your site, I'd probably look elsewhere for community. And I'd do so not
>because the information you posted was incorrect or false or misleading, but rather
>because of the tone.

I've already made changes to the How To pages based on similar
suggestions over the last few days.   I've removed all the smiley's
and  * symbols that were in place to emphasize and denote.    As I've
told others, I do tend to do this kind of re-writing anyway, as what I
re-read sinks in, and the humour or intensity of feeling that was
there at the beginning wears thin in my own mind.    Second and third
and fourth, etc. readings all require changes.    :-)

But at least I get it out there because of those original feelings.
I'm expressive.    I said it on the first page.  I am what I am.. Some
just need to add that grain of salt.

>It is such a difficult thing to communicate humor, especially one that could be
>described as sardonic, in writing. All the winks and smiles and emoticons in the world
>cannot really get that across. So the reader has only the plain old words to depend
>on for everything - the facts, the nuance, the belief and the likely emotional state of
>the writer are all captured in the words, for better or worse.

Ah..  There you are.    What you speak of are gone for the most part.
But do understand there are curmudgeons and the like out there.  Some
highly successful and paid well to entertain.   Some people enjoy that
kind of humor.   I know I do.   Both to be, even if in my own mind..,
and to listen to those who are.    Everyone is different.   Keep lots
of salt on hand... ;-)

>I would be frightened. I would be frightened enough to look for a different place,
>group, website.
>
>I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I thought that I'd tentatively offer up a
>real, true "beginner's mind" sort of take on the thing.

I'm not asking for any particular responses...  Only that they remain
within the pale.   I thank you for yours...

>Now, above all, one must be true to one's own heart and vision and passion. So, no
>matter what anyone (most especially me) says, do that. But first decide if the image
>you are presenting is the one that will really serve your own heart and vision and
>passion the best.

I'm working on it..   Believe me.

>With utmost respect and thanks -

>Bridget in Montana.

Likewise Bridget.
And I'm glad to learn it's not so cold up there after all.   :-)

Floyd

     Argentine Tango - Buffalo Tango - Sun Tango
      * * * * * www.buffalotango.com  * * * * *