[Tango-L] How to Tango

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 08:00:41 EST 2007

Floyd,

I think we are talking about two different types of
leaders.  I was referring to the leader that motivates
people by example.  The one that can exist without a title.
 I think you're thinking of the titular one - one that
exists because he/she has the finances, has the title, has
whatever that give him/her some control.  It is the
difference between a Martin Luther King and a George Bush.
The fact that you defined your community by its size
(number of email address and workshops) rather than by it's
quality is telling.  There are lots of large communities
that are just awful.

And to use Daniel Trenner's name in the same page that
you're saying you want people to be opinionated?  I think
he would be insulted since that goes against what he
teaches.  He deserves better treatment.  You might ask him
to review your webpage.

The overall impression I have from your responses (both
private and public) is that you are not really interested
in changing anything.  That you are more interested in
hearing confirmation of your ideas rather than learning
from good critical feedback.  You said it yourself - you're
opinionated.  You've a right to your opinions.  So why
bother to ask anyone on this list for feedback?  Compare
how you've answered with how Jeff responded to feedback on
his waltz.  See a difference?

I only read the first page of your website (what tango is
not) and debated on whether it was even worth responding to
given your resistance to the simple idea that your webpage
was hard to read.  (I think it took 3 posts until you
finally acknowledged that maybe you should fix this.)  I
can tell you that your some of your opinions are based on
misunderstood myths.  That it discourages women from
studying.  That the reasons some customs took place might
be right for the time but may no longer valid in today's
culture.  It's funny that you acknowledge that you have
little contact with experienced AT people, but it's okay
for you to be opinionated.  Hmm.

Your aim is admirable, but the execution of what I have
read is not.  You've asked for help with communicating
ideas.  My suggestion is for you to explain your ideas to
someone else and have them write your webpage instead.
Your purposes might then be served.

Happy community-building to all,
Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Floyd Baker <febaker at buffalotango.com> wrote:

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/