[Tango-L] Is your Tango like Jazz?

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 14:06:02 EST 2007

Last week USA Today ran an article in which "Wynton Marsalis shows how to put jazz to work"
  Marsalis is a big proponent of the cooperative and improvisational nature of playing jazz. And I couldn't help thinking about tango when I read this.
  The following is a quote from Marsalis.

  "When you listen to great jazz musicians, you hear the respect they have for each other's abilities.
  During a performance, most of the musician's time is spent listening to others. You see the trust
  they have for each other because they are always making adjustments and improvising based
  on what someone else does. I think (drummer) Elvin Jones articulated it best when he said,
  "In order to play with someone on a profound level, you have to be willing to die with them."

  Is your tango like jazz?