[Tango-L] How to Tango

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sun Jan 21 19:26:56 EST 2007

It all depends on whether he is leadning her with his arms or with his body.
I read that page of yours, Floyd, and it sounds to me like it was written by
a ballroom dancer. When two people dance in a parallel system or in
synchronicity rather than purely based on lead and follow as in tango, what
you say would apply. But in tango, your description and criticism sounds
like it is coming from a ballroom dancer.
I give you credit for admitting that you worked it out in your mind and
actually have rather little practice and physical experience. (But still
teach!) It sort of follows the same principles as wind surfing: you may have
it worked out in your mind but if you have not developed the dancer's
muscles to go with it, it would only work with someone you describe on your
page: who knows her steps and needs very little lead. The steps be best
agreed upon in advance. That may be the reason you don't enjoy dancing with
women from other communities.

Astrid

> >"As for the other extreme, heavy lead, there are followers who want to
> >be pushed and leaders who push.  They go together..  They enjoy each
> >other for their own personal  satisfaction.   But that way it only
> >takes one to tango."
> >
> >I can dance with what you call "heavy lead". And I do enjoy it. You are
very
> >wrong that this way it is only takes one to tango.  I assume you have no
idea
> >what it is about.   That is why you talking so much about it, and used
> >actually wrong term "heavy lead" which is has nothing to do with this
sort
> >of dancing.

 Tell me if I'm wrong but I
> expect you see the frame as being held firm, with the follower closely
> enclosed  in it,  to the point she 'must' come with you?   Fine by me
> you know?   It's the 'frame',  and both can Tango.
>
> My very first time on water skis, with no snow experience either, I
> had it all worked out in my head before ever getting into the water.
> The feel of the strength of the rope pulling, the angles, the tilt
> that the skis would need while still under water..   I went right up
> and stayed up.  Only falling when I tried to ski on one leg only, or
> when they boat put me ito a very forceful whip.    Both of them were
> only a matter of not enough muscle.

 Eighteen months