[Tango-L] Dancers make music when they dance

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Feb 28 01:46:02 EST 2007

Jee, I like that! Let me make a separate thread..

So the thesis is
"Dancers can not play music, musicians can still move to music, even
badly.".

Still, while playing music, musicians do not really know how to dance, even
though they make various movements.

But we as dancers and specifically Tango Dancers, make music when we dance.
You can call it like that. We do create right there, on the dance floor. And
that is the improvisational specific of Tango everyone knows. We have our
beat, rhythm pattern, notes, even melisma. We have polyrhythm. We have
figures. We have legato and staccato. Our instruments are our bodies we make
vibrations with, movements, accelerations, forces, balance, rebounds, many
things. We can play strictly, and we can play outside. We can even bend a
string!

Speaking about who is first, let it not surprise you, dear musicians, we can
dance tango without any of your music at all! That is what advanced tango
dancers can do. We play music with our own bodies. And I can assure you it
is of very high quality.

Our unification in couples makes in the whole ensemble. We are listen to
each other, to themselves, and to something which is born beyond our
spinal-brain will.

Of course, we like to dance to music, and we should. But we creatively
interpret it. We, together with musicians form cooperation.

Igor Polk
PS.
I have the idea which I expressed previously that musicians "dance" while
playing. They dance with their fingers, arms, bodies, breath, even in the
mind like we do. But it is the topic of a separate thread. Not being a
musician I can not elaborate much about it.