[Tango-L] Why dancers should judge musicians in Tango not otherwise

AJ Azure azure.music at verizon.net
Wed Feb 28 02:30:26 EST 2007

Unfortunately Igor your comprehension of my reply read in to it many things
that are no in fact there and also misconstrued many of my statements.

Firstly to discuss music philosophically is basically a dead end discussion
in the way of causally understanding it.

Secondly while dance is complex and involves creativity it does not involve
as much in the way of complexity when it comes to theory and the creation of
it. As complicated a I am sure your dance may be it can not live with out
the music which by the way in fact began said dance. Dance in a vacuum of no
music is no dance at all. Just movement. It can be musical but, only one
part of music. Rhythm. You do not create melody or harmony. That is the
total sum of a music. No poetic descriptions of dance can change that.
\
Absolutely dance quality will be a direct reaction to music quality. No
disagreement there.

What you ask me to do in researching old music I do daily but, it shows a
very simplistic understanding of what a musical genre is comprised if. It
takes a lot more than analyzing a few recordings. That is my point. To tell
us to listen to some recordings shows a very cursory pedestrian
understanding of what goes in to the creation and performance of music. A
recording is just one snap shot of a total style. I am speaking of the style
of old tango only. Listening to old recordings will only cause to parrot
back copies of said music. We're not here to be a recording and therefore,
must be able to see more than just a snap shot of a music. This is where
having some sort of books, etc. would make the difference. Tuition of a
musical style takes more than just listening.

This is where you turn me off:
Why dancers should judge musicians in Tango not otherwise

Who appoints these judges?
That's not cooperation. It's you saying "we know best" when clearly unless
you are both an accomplished dancer AND musician you don't. I don't claim to
know either side with out fault. Neither should you. Sure I'd love to hear
your idea of the 4 styles. Share with me don't talk at me or dictate and
certainly is all I ask.

_A