[Tango-L] Piazzolla "Alternative" Music?

Mauro Casadei m_casadei67 at tin.it
Sun Feb 25 10:44:07 EST 2007

Astrid is absolutely right.

I wonder why is there so much confusion in the term "alternative".

Piazzolla is indeed different from D'Arienzo, Laurenz, Fresedo and Calo',
just to name a few.

However, the rhythmic in most Piazzolla pieces is strictly connected to the
traditional Tango or (slow) Milonga beats.

And the melodies still bear a reminiscence of the innovation work of
Pugliese.

Adios Nonino, Milonga del angel, Oblivion and others - to name a few - are
clearly tango/milonga pieces, certainly injected with new idea and
innovations, but are still part of clear evolution line in the Argentine
Tango tradition (despite all the debates between Piazzolla and the
old-fashioned argentinian audience).

The same cannot be said of most pieces by Narcotango, Tanghetto, Bajofondo
and other "Neotango" groups.

The rhythm, the beat, becomes completely different, and just the fact of
having a bandoneon paying in the background while someone talks in Spanish
does not make it a Tango.
These pieces migh be called "alternative " music, that one van like or
dislike, but IMHO they cannot be put into the same ill-defined container
with Piazzolla.

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sat Feb 24 23:29:52 EST 2007