[Tango-L] Piazzolla "Alternative" Music?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 13:13:29 EST 2007

Mauro, I don't think that there is really "so much
confusion in the term 'alternative'". It is simply any
music that is not traditionally played in the milongas.
That is, any music that is an alternative to the classic
golden age music. It includes many many (most?) tangos,
(including Piazzolla, Hugo Diaz, late Pugliese, etc.) other
genres, electrocuted tango, noise, and in the immemorable
words of Todd Snider, "silence, the original alternative to
music". (Ummm, that last one is a joke. Please DJs, no
silence, or even Joe's Blues.)

To put it even more simply: If you go to an alternative
milonga, you will almost certainly hear Piazzolla. If you
go to a traditional milonga, you will certainly not hear
Piazzolla.

Only that half of the list who use alternative as a
perjorative term might object to including Piazzolla and
Pugliese in this vast but hardly "ill-defined container".

Astrid, I can think of less than a dozen dancers who can
express the complexing and subtlety of Piazzolla's music. I
don't include myself in any top 10 lists. But I do set very
high standards for myself. I would rather sit out a dance,
than to dance distracted by all the cool musical events
that I just missed.

I can understand how people who find traditional tango
music boring might love to dance to Piazzolla, because they
haven't developed an ear for tango, and so don't know what
they are missing. But for someone who loves tango music,
dancing to Piazzolla is a much different experience.

Sean

--- Mauro Casadei <m_casadei67 at tin.it> wrote:

I wonder why is there so much confusion in the term
"alternative".

These pieces migh be called "alternative " music, that one
van like or dislike, but IMHO they cannot be put into the
same ill-defined container with Piazzolla.

> astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
> Sat Feb 24 23:29:52 EST 2007

> May I guess that includes you and Trini?
> Piazzolla is not "alternative" as it not something other
> than tango and
> alien to the genre, it was born from tango as a further
> step in the
> development of musical history. You will have to force me
> if you want to
> make me dance tango to salsa, pop and such, but when,
> once in a blue moon,
> very late at night, one of the more danceable pieces by
> Piazzolla comes on
> and I happen to be with right partner, it feels like a
> dark starry sky has
> filled the air, there is nothing like it.

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/