[Tango-L] Dance what you like

=?windows-1250?Q?Ecsedy_=C1ron?= aron at milonga.hu
Sat Feb 24 13:28:03 EST 2007

Pesochinsky> that try these strange "innovations" and call it Argentine tango?

Are we talking about music or dancing? Because to me it seems that 'new' tango is quite a contemporary Argentine invention. As for the dancing, it is definitely made by some young(er) Argentines.

Check (made a few days ago in BsAs, performance by Mariana and Sebastian)

http://www.tangomania.hu/bsas_2007/sebastian_mariana.wmv

It is Color Tango (does that qualify as tango for you? Compared to even Juan Maglio or Firpo, not to mention Gardel it is a completely different style of music), but the dancing is not canyengue either... :)

If you are disturbed by tango dance being danced to non-tango music, then reminder: it is something that happened before tango became 'Argentine'... If you would dance to early European recordings of tango (by military orchestras pre 1911...) then it is just as much of a perversion to contemporary tangos as when you dance to Llhasa de Sela, still it was the main trigger why tango DANCING was accepted in Argentina later on...

Pesochinsky> Perhaps, the alternative non-tango is the "tango light" (fat-free,
Pesochinsky> sugar-free, will-not-disturb-your-illusions-about-yourself) of those
Pesochinsky> individuals who cannot handle the real thing, who need a diluted
Pesochinsky> version to never be disturbed, and to always have a happy ending.

I believe that the 'traditional tango' you refer to is like Turkish Coffee, while nuevo is something like the mixed, spiced stuff you get at Starbucks. Some like the former, some the latte(r). :)

We have pretty good cafeterias around here (Europe), but I don't say what Starbucks sells is worse. It is different. It is also coffee...

Cheers,
Aron