[Tango-L] Dance what you like

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Sat Feb 24 12:47:31 EST 2007

Hello, everyone,

I am picking up where Deby left off.

So why is it that as Deby had put it, it is the people from the U.S.
that try these strange "innovations" and call it Argentine tango?

My theory is that in order to respect another culture, one has to
have respect either for one's own culture that he/she was born into
or a culture he/she has chosen as theirs.  In my experience, most
Americans do not respect their own culture because they do not know
it.  So how can they respect another culture, such as Argentine?

I am speaking in absolutes now.  There are exceptions and there are
American people who know, love and understand their own
culture.  However, in my experience, this is not the case with the
majority.   American culture is rich and anyone who is fond of road
trips knows it.  People in tiny rural places had taught me many
things about American culture - its value of honesty and genuine
friendliness, trusting the strangers and extreme politeness, among
many other things.

On the other hand, what culture excepts trends such as re-making
classic films?  What arrogance has to be there tor emake great films
such as "The Manchurian Candidate", "La Femme Nikita", "Shall We
Dance?", among many others?!

When I first heard that Americans were remaking great movies, my
first questions were "What was wrong with the original one?  Was it
not good enough?  Did it need improvement?"

If you look at diluted remakes of these great films, you will see
that they lack intensity and they have "Hollywood endings" where all
ends well.  Is it because the people who remake these movies feel
that Americans cannot take the intensity or acce[t unhappy endings?

Argentine tango is intense.  It is disturbing.  True, differently for
different people, but disturbing nevertheless.  It messes with deep,
almost primal emotions.  It is not intellectual for most people who
dance it.  The culture where it emerged is rich, joyful and
tragic.  There is a reason why Argentine tango as a dance did not
emerge in any other part of the world.

Perhaps, the alternative non-tango is the "tango light" (fat-free,
sugar-free, will-not-disturb-your-illusions-about-yourself) of those
individuals who cannot handle the real thing, who need a diluted
version to never be disturbed, and to always have a happy ending.

Perhaps, there is a deeper psychological reason for thie ( I am
speculating now).  Americans, as a cultural group, are known for
their fear of intimacy (pilgrims, introverts, looking to live in
great distance from others - long historical practice of
this).  Perhaps the "tango light" offers them an escape from the
intense intimacy of Argentine Tango where no one is safe.  After all,
if you dance the real thing, you have to be willing and able to be
close and intimate with another person in a real way, and yet to be
able to say goodbye, and still hold it in your heart, and still feel
its joy, and to never, ever try to possess it or the other person.

But then... if a person is crippled, you can tell them "Dance!" all
you want and they still cannot do it.  So maybe the real thing is not
for everyone.

Best regards to all,

Nina