[Tango-L] Dance what you like

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Sat Feb 24 11:07:06 EST 2007

Kat,

I think your vicious sarcasm has no place.  First and foremost, if you
knew what you are talking about you would know that "rose in the teeth"
and slicked back hair was Rudolph Valentino dancing what is referred to
as American Tango, not Argentine Tango.  Argentine Tango never used a
"Rose in the teeth."  American Tango uses completely different steps and
music than Argentine Tango.  It is unfortunate that you have no sense of
history or understanding of what Argentine Tango is.  While you might
not like how people like Nina and Manuel talk about tango, it might
serve you to pay attention and learn something, rather than showing your
ignorance.

Here in Argentina, the Argentines dance what they call Rock and Roll.
It looks cool, but it is not American Rock and Roll.  It is a variation
of East Coast Swing danced to the guitar rather than the bass as danced
in American Rock and Roll.  They dance it to music like Credence
Clearwater Revival.  They dance it to Chubby Checker's Twist.  They even
dance it to Cumbia music of all things. Even the version of salsa they
dance to in the milonga is the same basic step.  They love it.  Yet they
are very surprised when I tell them that what they dance is not American
Rock and Roll.  They are surprised when I tell them we don't partner
dance to either Credence Clearwater or Johnny Rivers like they do.  They
call the dance they do Rock and Roll - Argentino.  Why?  Because no
matter how cool it looks, it is not Rock and Roll as danced in the U.S.

You may want to dance tango movements to African Swahili music upside
down while spinning on a platform.  If it makes you happy and you think
you are creating a new art form, then go for it.  But what you are
dancing IS NOT Argentine Tango.  It is something completely different.
Why is it that people outside of Argentina, who somehow come to a tango
community in their area insist that because they want to change it, make
it different, and create something completely different that others
around them are wrong?  For me the great embarrassment of this, is that
the absolute majority of these people are from my country, the United
States.  This topic has been debated here and in other ex-pat forums,
why is it, that American people think that they always have to improve
and make something better, when what people in that country are happy
with what they have?

It was mentioned dancing by Chicho and El Pulpo.  Years ago when I was
at the Latina Cafe in Paris, Chicho was there dancing with Luisa.  He
was wearing a suit and she a demure skirt.  They were dancing pure
milonguero and salon tango.  Not the dancing the Chicho is famous for.
Chicho does not dance his style in the traditional milongas because he
respects the culture of his country.

Once when I lived in San Francisco and was president of the Argentine
Tango Association, Pulpo was there.  He was highly agitated by what some
people there were dancing.  There is a faction in the Bay Area that
thinks they are changing the face of tango in the Universe with honking
big steps, sloppy turns, poor posture, no axis, and banging into people
without apologizing.  He was furious.  "Can't you do something about
this?"  he asked me.  I asked him what he expected me to do. He said he
thought it was terrible and it made him very angry to see people dancing
that way.

Maybe you think this is odd coming from the Octopus himself.  However if
you knew his background then you would understand his outrage.  He comes
from a long line of musicians and dancers.  Read any interview with him
and he proudly talks about it.  Read those interviews and you will see
his deep respect of the music and what is danced by milongueros and
people here in Argentina.  Do you know what the Argentines say about
him?  "Buen pibe pero no sabe que para bailar."  (He is a good kid but
he can't dance.)  Everyone loves him here, but they know his form of
dance is not danceable by anyone but him, and it is for foreigners.

Why is it Kat in all your infinite wisdom that here in Buenos Aires we
have 130 milongas and yet only 5 are practicas for your version of a new
art form?  The revival so to speak of tango is drawing people of all
ages.  Yesterday in the elevator of my building a 17 year old boy asked
me if I was the tango teacher.  He told me he and his girlfriend want to
learn to dance like their grandparents.  We are seeing many young people
attending milongas in places like El Beso, Baldosa, Mi Club, Porteño y
Bailarin.  Argentines are fiercely protective of the dance form, and to
be honest do not want to see what the foreign influence is bringing.
Have some respect for a culture and another country instead of your
bullheaded insistence that you are making something better and you have
the RIGHT to do so.  Dance whatever you like however you like, but do
not call what you are dancing Argentine Tango, because it is not.