[Tango-L] types of valses?

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Sat Feb 24 06:56:43 EST 2007

Thanks for pointing us to this--I've been looking for a CD of vals....

John Ward wrote:
> Smithsonian Folkways issued an interesting CD: "Bandoneon Pure: Dances of
> Uruguay" by Rene Martino Rivero (who bears a startling resemblance to
> British actor Ricky Gervais). On it are these valses:
>
> Corazon de oro (vals oriental)
> La loca de amor (vals criollo)
> Desde el alma (vals boston)
>
> Other subdivisions are:
>
> El choclo (tango criollo)
> Mirinaque (milonga uruguaya)
> Vieja morena (pasodoble academico)
> Taquito militar (milonga orillera)
> Camino al don (foxtrot cancion)
>
> With the CD is an 80 page booklet describing the bandoneon and the music in
> great detail. I quote:
>
> The vals oriental as a genre continued the tradition of the cielito of the
> Banda Oriental del Uruguay (Banda or Republica Oriental del Uruguay is the
> complete name of the state) . . . the different varieties of vals - vals
> oriental, vals criollo, vals boston, and vals porteno - held an important
> part in [Francisco Canaro's] life.
>
> John Ward
> Bristol, UK

Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw Associates PLLC
business, technology, entertainment and media law
"practical legal solutions for creative people"
Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
734 668 4646 v  734 786 1241 f
http://www.arborlaw.com

"When grain is made into refined white flour, more than 30
essential nutrients are largely removed.  Only four of those
nutrients are added back in a process called "enrichment."
Using this same logic, if a person were robbed of 30 dollars
and the thief then returned 4 dollars to his victim for cab
fare home, then that person should be considered "enriched"
by 4 dollars, not robbed of 26." -- Elmer M. Cranton, M.D.

Updates in business, technology, entertainment and media law

a r b o r l a w   --   http://www.arborlaw.com/blog/