[Tango-L] Banelco ATM withdrawals with VISA cards in Buenos Aires

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Thu Feb 22 19:48:56 EST 2007

I was unaware of the new withdrawal limit at Banelco ATMs in Buenos Aires,
because my last withdrawal was ten days ago.  Today, I went to the local
Citibank with a Banelco ATM to withdraw 300 pesos, but I was only able to
withdraw 100.  This is reminiscent of the bank corralito five years ago when
Argentines were limited to withdrawals of 250 pesos per week from their bank
accounts.

I encountered difficulty getting the machine to read my card for another
transaction, so I went to another Banelco ATM two blocks down the street.
It was out of order.  I went to a third Banelco ATM in my neighborhood where
I tried to withdraw 300 pesos.  Once again, my transaction wasn't completed
until I requested 100 pesos.

It seems to be a modification within the Banelco system which limits
withdrawals.  I don't know if this is only for foreign card holders or
applicable to all cards without talking to bank officials.  I have used my
VISA debit card for a US credit union account for the past eight years
without problems.  I always recommend tourists use the same rather than
changing dollars or travelers' checks.

This change is going to result in longer lines at the ATMs in order to
process multiple transactions or longer lines inside the bank to exchange
dollars for pesos.  Tourists should be aware that banks require a minimum of
100 dollars for an exchange, and you need to present your passport.

Janis Kenyon
Buenos Aires