[Tango-L] types of valses?

anfractuoso anfractuoso anfractuoso at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 16:40:08 EST 2007

Hello,

Thank you for that!

Vals oriental seems to have more of a geographical connotation rather
than musical, but I will follow up on that. It looks like 'Oriental'
in those days simply meant, anywhere in the world, that something came
from the neighbours to the east of you - in this case Uruguay from the
viewpoint of Argentina/Buenos Aires.

I wonder about vals criollo versus vals porteno... (not the meaning,
but if there are musical differences)

I am also reminded of a lot of Rodriguez valses that have this
charming almost childish simplicity, yet sweetness, to them. They
might have instruments playing largely in unison, and also vocal
'choir' refrain done in unison in the unpretensious way a group of
children might sound like. I am thinking that these valses deserve a
label like folksy or country. I wonder if these would be the
equivalent of 'vals criollo'?

Cheers