[Tango-L] ATM problems in BsAs - Cirrus network seems OK

Rick Jones rwjones52 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 21:25:50 EST 2007

>From what I can tell from reading the Yahoo! and other (essentially) expat bulletin boards about the problem:

  1. It was limited to Visa cards (both credit and debit) that used the Plus network and the BANELCO backbone in Buenos Aires.  It appears people with Master Card and/or Cirrus network who used the LINK backbone reported limited or no problems.

  2. I have been told that the BANELCO people are saying that a new Plus rule was misinterpretted, and is being fixed.  However, foreigners will be limited to $300 pesos per transaction, and a maximum of 3 transactions a day.  This is second-hand information, and it could be inaccurate, or it could change tomorrow.

  Bottom line: you're not in Kansas anymore.  If you are planning on coming here, it might be prudent to consider not putting all of your financial eggs in one basket, and to consider having a contingency plan for cash.

  Rick Jones

Brian Dunn <brian at danceoftheheart.com> wrote:
  Dear list,

In Buenos Aires, Deb and I use ATMs a lot in the Palermo area. Last night I
made my usual request of 590 pesos using my VISA debit card on the Cirrus
network. (I request 590 instead of a more round number like 600 to get
smaller change than I'd otherwise get).

There were no problems.

Brian Dunn
Dance of the Heart
Boulder, Colorado USA
www.danceoftheheart.com
"Building a Better World, One Tango at a Time"