[Tango-L] types of valses?

Ilene Marder imhmedia at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 23:34:38 EST 2007

A friend was doing some research  and sent me this which happens to
explain the 'boston style" vals you mentioned...
I had  not been aware of such a designation...but it is explained in the
5th section below, from planet tango...
(what I am amzed at is Senorita Rosita Melo wrote the music for this
classic  queen of vals when she was 14 years old!)
I.

The making of Desde El Alma
1159 	4
1159 	5 	  	by Alberto Paz
1159 	6 	  	Edited by Valorie Hart
1159 	7
1159 	8 	  	Rosita Melo was born in Uruguay in 1903 but she lived in
Argentina since 1906. She wrote the music for Desde El Alma, a
Boston-style vals, at age 14 in 1917. In 1922 she married poet Victor
Piuma Velez who wrote the first set of lyrics for Desde El Alma.
1159 	9 	  	It was a theme dedicated to the love of a mother. In 1948,
Homero Manzi called to tell them that he was interested in including the
song in his movie Pobre mi madre querida, but with different lyrics as
demanded by the movie script.
1159 	10 	  	This would not affect the copyright ownership of the song.
Piuma Velez and Rosita Melo opposed the idea, and requested that if
Manzi wrote new lyrics, Piuma Velez's name should be included as co-author.
1159 	11 	  	Manzi agreed, the lyrics became famous and the vals,
already a classic became universally famous.
1159 	12 	  	The Boston-vals is a style originated in the city of that
name in the United States. It is associated with the piano and its
characteristic is that the player does not mark the rhythm with the left
hand as it is customary with that instrument.
1159 	13 	  	The rhythm is marked witht he right hand along with the
melody. The left hand only marks the first note of the beat, the bass.