[Tango-L] types of valses?

anfractuoso anfractuoso anfractuoso at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 23:19:34 EST 2007

Thank you for your reply, very interesting.

However I see now that maybe I should have made it clear that I don't
really have a problem identifying vals rhythm patterns. What I label
as a 'vals'  commonly is written in 3/4 and has an accent only on the
first quarter note in each measure.

My question was about the actual features of a vals musical form that
are different between the different designations of vals. Time
signature is the most basic, as is rhythm pattern and tempo (these
three would likely be the same for all vals subclasses); others could
be characteristic legati or staccati of a particular instrument, or a
particular shape and time flow of a musical phrase, or a
characteristic beginning and/or ending, etc. etc. My other question
was how many different vals designations do you guys know or have
heard of?

It might have been better to start with an example. The superstar of a
tango vals called "Desde El Alma" is given as a 'Vals Boston' - anyone
know why? What makes it so?

I don't know what Java and Redova are, but mazurka does not have a
vals rhythm pattern despite having a 3/4 time signature because the
accent there is either on the second or third quarter note in a
measure.

Rancheras also are not really valses as they have what feels like all
three quarter notes accentuated and are much slower. In my opinion
anyway.

Cheers!