[Tango-L] types of valses?

Tango Tango tangotangotango at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 21:22:43 EST 2007

Most people would not consider a Boston to be part of tango and the
Waldteufel-waltzes Canaro recorded are really a novelty. I've never heard
them played at a milonga. Rodriguez recorded EVERYTHING, so he does not
represent a straight lineage of tango.

To the Vals and Vals-Boston, you can add Mazurka, Java and Redova. All are
3/4.

I have some Vals-Rancheras that are 3/4 and some that are 4/4 (so then is it
still a waltz or is it a bolero?) Some switch between 3/4 and 4/4.

The answer to your question is: You know it when you hear it.

-Kinda like the difference between contemporary zydeco and contemporary
cajun. You can't define it in terms of instrumentation or score but you hear
the difference immediately.

Neil