[Tango-L] Tango World Championship

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Tue Feb 20 20:16:00 EST 2007

Trini wrote

> It could also be that the geographical size of the U.S. is
> so big compared with other countries

Can't be, since clearly calling each state a country would not change
things.

> if preliminary rounds in Miami are held a 20 hour drive from where
> I live in Pennsylvania, I am not going to hear about it because I
> do not really care about what happens in Miami.

Ah, now "do not care" is a better explanation. When dancers are aren't
close enough to care about each other, you don't get a tango community.
You get a group that is mistaken for a community only by its 'tango
community leaders'.

Chris

PS Tom asked:

> When did tango start in London? When did it start outside of London?
> Is there tango in Slough?

a) 1913. b) Around 1860. c) Probably depends what you mean by "tango".. ;)

PPS Huck wrote

> the English Channel is there for a reason, to wit, to keep off the
> continent (or at least stem the tide of) Brit wankers like you, whose
> idea of culture is cracking a beer bottle over the head of anyone
> whose football blouse is a different color than his own.

Now Huck that's not true. The Channel was built by the English to fend off
the cultural depravity of the continent, tango included. And it would have
worked too, if a distracting war with the Argentines hadn't given the
sneaky French the chance to dig a tunnel...

;)