[Tango-L] A Pickpockets History of Argentine Tango

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Tue Feb 20 03:32:23 EST 2007

Trini, there are, of course, merits in what you have said.
Art as everything else can be used to investigate historical truth, but that
is indirect and requires a great skill, knowledge, and carefulness. Never
any art should be taken as a historical fact. There are many important
things to consider.
Otherwise everyone could be sure that Egyptians Pharaohs where 3 times
taller than other people,
And sugary songs and musicals of US 30s reflected the same level of
prosperity and happiness as you described was in 50s.

I agree with you also that traditional history books are no better than
novels.
Igor.

Lyrics and poetry can still reflect the social
consciousness of the times.  Think of the folk songs of the
60's which protested the Vietnam war or those sugary songs
from the 50's when people were prospering after the end of
WWII.

Fiction, movies, and novels also reflect what people are
thinking and feeling, as well as social norms.  They are
much better in conveying pop culture and social history
better than traditional history books.  I once did a paper
in graduate school using comic books to show the changing
role of women in society over the years.  There's a term
for that type of analysis, but I can't recall what it is.

Trini de Pittsburgh