[Tango-L] Tango World Championship

m i l e s miles at tangobliss.com
Tue Feb 20 12:53:52 EST 2007

All,

Nancy Wrote:

 >How does one judge how something feels?

I'm hearing a concurrent theme here and I agree.

I think the idea of an Argentine Tango Competition is absolute
ridiculousness!

Nancy said it best above....but it bears repeating...why bother with
this kind of foolishness.

I can understand a novice on the outside looking in, that hasn't
danced argentine tango will jump to the conclusion that there
*SHOULD* be a competition for Argentine Tango.  Until they dance the
dance with a partner and then its a whole different animal! And then
they're hooked, an addiction for which there is no cure except more
of the addiction....

I recently had the experience of explaining to a new friend why I was
dancing so much, and her immediate response was "are you tuning up
for a competition ?".  I laughed.  And she asked what was so funny.
I replied that in Argentine Tango the only competition that you have
is with yourself and its to get better, and that's part of the
addiction.

Having said that I have to preface my commentary above with not
having looked at the website for the competition or even having
investigated it further because it sounds just so ridiculous.

How do you judge how something feels ?  You do, and I believe a
committee can't.  Its not impossible but lets just say improbable.

How about we kill this thread and move onto something else as equally
inane, such as Argentine Underwater Tango.  Or my personal favorite,
"Nailbitting for the Argentine Tango Dancer, A Historical
Retrospective", replete with director commentary and a full 2 hours
of never before seen Video....

Argentine Tango COMPETITION ? Paaaaah-lease.

M i l e s.