[Tango-L] The Suggested Lead

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 10:49:57 EST 2007

Feel free to start a thread on "The Frame".  Sure, you
can say that going through the practice of leading
with no arms is still a frame.  But, it takes away
from the point of my post:

To illustrate the suggested lead and an example of
practicing the finer points of leading.

The intent is for the follower to follow my center, my
chest.  I suggest with my chest, she follows as far as
SHE figures out to follow and I follow her to that
end-point.  Actually, there is a lot of finer back and
forth communication that goes on during this exercise.
 It creates a heightened awareness for the leader and
the follower.

By calling it shock and awe, I guess it is being
strongly stated that you should not try this at home!
However, it is, actually, an exercise that will
improve your dance.

It keeps the follower and the leader on their toes and
a fantastic way: heightened awareness.

When I dance, I dance with a very light frame, most of
the time.  However, this topic was about an exercise
that is very beneficial.

Also, in a milonga, yes, in a milonga, sometimes, when
our connection is poor, I will make my frame so light
that it is almost not there.
- It makes ME more aware of leading with my center.
- It makes ME pay more attention to what she is doing.
- It makes my follower more aware of following my
center.
Then, when I strengthen my frame, the dance is much
more beautiful.

This is an example of doing the exercise with
extremely little frame and has been proven over and
over, again.

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK

I don't mind the counterpoint arguments.  But, I just
want to be clear, for those who are looking for ways
to improve their lead, this method works wonders.

To the many of you who write back to me, personally,
and tell me that these principles work, thank you for
your feedback.

I think that we all find that:
(1) those who agree don't write back to the group
(2) those who don't agree do write to the group.

So, don't let the one or two people who want to say
"No! No! No!" detour you from learning the finer
points of the dance.