[Tango-L] Tai Chi Dan Tien and doing things in Twos

David Koucky davidkoucky at msn.com
Mon Dec 24 12:08:23 EST 2007

My Tai Chi studies began in 1973.  After 11 years of continuous lessons, I have been in the digestive phase for some time now.  The comparisons with Tango are pertinent because both use sensitivity to accomplish movement.  The practice of the partnered exercises (pushing hands, da liu, etc. ) will soon demonstrate that there is no limit to the amount of touch sensitivity that one may develop.

Here is a paraphrase from that study; "When you are full of yourself, there is no room for another".  The recent interchange concerning metaphors seems to indicate that few people have any room for others.  To those of you who are full of something (umbrage, confusion, past wounds and scars, pride, knowledge, hostility, or fresh fertilizer), try dropping the unneeded baggage. Make a little room for holding another in the parts you use to feel and understand.

The commentary on the mechanics of movement are of great interest  to me. Tai Chi makes quite a study of movement through the dan tien (this is behind the navel).  You may notice that you can feel a tickling sensation as your weight passes over the dan tien and your axis. I have noticed that leads prior to this point are easier for the follow to understand.  This also clarifies your collect and standing over your axis.  Tai Chi students will eventually  try to harmonize the natural rhythm of movement with energy passing through the dan tien.

In both Tai Chi and Tango we will try to get this movement all the way from the floor to the center, to the connection.  Tango must take movement from the tan tien to higher points in the body.  Our connections tend to be near the heart.  Shoulders, Throat, and Head energies might also be utilized.

So, if we have two highly energized, and highly attuned individuals, what happens?  The Taoist philosophy describes two energies eternally joined, one giving birth to another.  Yin becomes strong and give birth to Yang, Strong Yang gives birth two Yin. The two are inextricably entwined, and constantly spinning within us.  I hope some of you hear Tango music during this description.

The point of this long digression is to get to the issue of dancing Tango.  Leads are obliged to lead.  The lead must constantly come up with a very Yang act of direct force.  The follower must perfect the very Yin act of controlled yielding.  I tend to see this as inherently unbalanced. One of us is very Yang, the other very Yin.  We should anticipate and develop the inevitable change to the other part of our natural energy.

To the best of my ability, I think this means that a strong lead needs a listening and feeling that is equally strong.  Followers who perfect their Yin energy should contemplate the strong yang part.  This includes how your body tells us what you are up to ,and what you are intending with this dance.

Finally, Tai Chi is about conflict  The practitioner must perfect the art of hiding movement.  In spite of a physical contact, it is best to conceal your movements.  Tango is intended to be about a cooperation.  It is best to express your movements.  It is entirely possible to express or conceal your self.  Your dance may improve if you can tell which of these you are doing at any one time.

?Best Wishes to One And All