[Tango-L] Tai Chi Dan Tien and doing things in Twos

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 24 13:23:35 EST 2007

David,

Loved your post. Please see a couple of comments below:

----------------------
> From: davidkoucky at msn.com
... ... ...
> The point of this long digression is to get to the issue of dancing Tango.  Leads are obliged to lead.  The lead must constantly
> come up with a very Yang act of direct force.  The follower must perfect the very Yin act of controlled yielding.  I tend to see this
> as inherently unbalanced. One of us is very Yang, the other very Yin.  We should anticipate and develop the inevitable change
> to the other part of our natural energy.
>
> To the best of my ability, I think this means that a strong lead needs a listening and feeling that is equally strong.
> Followers who perfect their Yin energy should contemplate the strong yang part.  This includes how your body
> tells us what you are up to ,and what you are intending with this dance.
... ... ...
----------------------------------

Regarding the above, please look at how I've described this situation on my website. I'd be interested in your feedback.

http://tangomoments.com/pages/ATango.htm#gender

> Finally, Tai Chi is about conflict  The practitioner must perfect the art of hiding movement.  In spite of a physical contact, it is best to conceal your movements.  Tango is intended to be about a cooperation.  It is best to express your movements.  It is entirely possible to express or conceal your self.  Your dance may improve if you can tell which of these you are doing at any one time.

Regarding the above,  I remember giving some classes to a man with many years of Tai Chi experience. He had a great deal of difficulty overcoming the Tai Chi conditioning about concealing his movements. When you're trying to lead, you must do the opposite and telegraph your intentions.

His other major problem was trying to overcome his Tai Chi way of walking with bent knees, and of learning when it was necessary to fully transfer his weight to one foot rather than keeping it distributed between both feet.

But regardless of his difficulties, it's been very clear to me for a long time, as you have described, that Tai Chi principles of energy flow and transition are completely relevant to what's going on in tango. Thanks again for the post.

     TangoMoments.com