[Tango-L] any advice for bad shoulders?

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 07:23:34 EST 2007

Here's what I do while dancing to help resolve the problem, for whatever it's worth.

When I feel my partner consistently pushing off of my left arm (especially during giros to the right or back ochos), I first need to make sure I am not consistently throwing my partner off balance and then if I am not, I will just let my left hand go momentarily limp in non-critical moments in order to deny that unnecessary support. Most get the message.

When teaching or practicing I will often practice open embrace my left arm and my partner's right arm down and behind or connecting in a open-palm-to-open-palm fashion with fingers extending straight up. The latter is a good exercise in its own right illustrating and practicing joint responsibility for maintaining the frame and hands connecting in the middle as much as possible.

A more difficult problem to solve for me while dancing is my partner's "hanging" on my right shoulder. What I would do, is first make sure I am not lifting my right shoulder causing the imbalance and the "hanging" that way and, if not, "straighten out" my shirt (of whatever garment I may be wearing) on my right shoulder between dances. That works many times.

...dubravko

seek, appreciate, and create beauty
   this life is not a rehearsal